Step 3—Completing Your Financial Aid Application
Tracking Your Status on myCommNet
To track the status of your financial aid, follow these steps:
- Log into myCommNet (if this is your first time logging in, click here for assistance)
- Enter your Banner ID as your Net ID (use the following format: )
- Enter your Password
- Click on Banner Students and Faculty Self Service
- Click on the Financial Aid tab
- Click on Eligibility Requirements
- Follow the instructions there to complete any outstanding requirements. If you have outstanding requirements you have been randomly selected for Federal Verification by the Federal Government
- If your award is complete, you many click on My Award Information to review your financial aid award
How Do I Resolve Problems with My Award?
Signed FAFSA applications will be processed and reviewed in the order they are received at the financial aid office. Typical problems encountered are:
FAFSA Not Sent to HCC
If you did not send your FAFSA to HCC, myCommNet will not display the My Award Information. Log onto www.fafsa.ed.gov and send your FAFSA to School Code #004513.
If your FAFSA application is unsigned or incomplete, myCommNet will not display the My Award Information link under the Financial Aid tab. Check under the Eligibility Requirements link for instructions on how to resolve the problems.
Corrections to FAFSA Required
If corrections are needed based on conflicting data, you may submit them on your own by going back to your FAFSA directly online or come to the Financial Aid Office to do them in person. Check under the Eligibility Requirements link. You should bring proper identification if you come to the college in person. Corrections often take up to two weeks to be resolved by the federal government and submitted back to the college.
Selected for Federal Verification
If you have been selected for verification of the data you submitted, you will receive an email from the HCC Financial Aid office. Check under the Eligibility Requirements link to complete the required Verification worksheet and submit all documents required.
What Happens if You Apply Late?
Late applications will be awarded on a funds available basis. Please note: Grant funds at our disposal are limited and may not permit us to award grants to all eligible students especially those who apply late.
Federal law prohibits release of student information to any party other than the student. For further details, please review the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Paying your Bill with Financial Aid
When does my Financial Aid pay for my Courses?
The entire Financial Aid process must be complete in order for your award to pay for your courses. This would include:
- Applying online at FAFSA.ed.gov
- Housatonic received your FAFSA and there are no errors or corrections
- Completing the verification process (if selected for verification of information)
- You received your Financial Aid award (via myCommNet)
Since the College’s automated process to update the amount of your award is performed nightly, in most cases you won’t be able to see the impact of today’s registration activity on MyCommNet until tomorrow morning. Any adjustments done on student accounts usually take 24 hours to reflect the change.
How do I know I know I have completed the process?
You can check the status of your Financial Aid online at http://my.commnet.edu.
How do I know if my Financial Aid will pay for all my courses?
You will need to compare the amount of your award against the cost of tuition and fees for the semester. As long as the amount of your authorized financial aid or loan is higher than your account charges you will not be dropped from your courses for non-payment.
You are responsible for paying any portion of your bill that is NOT covered by your financial aid authorization or loan. Additionally, you will be held immediately responsible for full payment of the total balance due regardless of when the change occurs for the following reasons:
- If your financial aid is not awarded;
- If your financial aid authorization amount is lessened for any reason, including reducing your course load; or
- If your authorization is later rescinded.
If you are unable to adhere to the payment deadlines, please contact the Bursar’s Office located in Lafayette L123 immediately to avoid being dropped.
What if my Financial Aid is not complete when I register for courses?
If you have not completed the full Financial Aid process and have not received your Award by the time you register for courses then you must be prepared to make payments.
If it is before the tuition due date, you will be required to cover the fees for courses to hold your classes. Once your Financial Aid is complete, you would receive a refund of your fees if your award covers the cost of your courses
- If it is after the tuition due date, you will be required to cover the entire cost of tuition and fees to hold your classes, or sign up for an installment plan. Once your Financial Aid is complete, you would receive a refund of your fees if your award covers the cost of your courses
What happens if I add or drop classes?
Please keep in mind that the formula for calculating your authorization amount takes into account the number of credits you are registered for and the authorization amount will be recalculated if you change your course load. Since it is not uncommon for a financial aid student to actually owe money to the college after dropping a course, you are also strongly advised to contact the Financial Aid Office before doing so.
A FINANCIAL AID or LOAN APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A FINANCIAL AID AWARD OR LOAN, NOR DOES IT EXEMPT YOU FROM PAYMENT.