Welcome to the Housatonic Community College Counseling Center
Counseling Center Hours:
Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The mission of the Counseling Center is to assist students in being successful at Housatonic Community College.
Counselors help identify personal, academic and social barriers that may prevent students from succeeding. They represent a safe haven for the students, a place where confidential information can be exchanged.
The goal of the counselors, who are trained professionals, is to help students benefit from an experience at HCC that will prepare them for employment in their field of study, or to continue their education at a four year college or university.
We're Here to Help
The counselors at HCC strive to help you achieve academic success, feel comfortable at Housatonic, develop educational and career plans and help you understand yourself and others. The ultimate goal is for you, the student, to direct your own life and feel responsible for yourself and your actions.
Sometimes students want to just sit down and talk about personal or non-academic concerns. The counselors are here to listen. They recognize that many students are trying to balance work, school and family responsibilities along with personal needs. They understand that overwhelming pressure can build; therefore, they offer you a friendly ear in a confidential setting. Referrals to outside agencies are made when necessary.
Personal Adjustment Counseling
Seek personal counseling if you feel:
- Overwhelmed and ready to quit
- Undecided about educational and career choices
- Upset over relationships
- Tense, anxious, inadequate, puzzled or depressed
- Confused about sex, alcohol or drugs
- Concerned about weight, food or exercise issues
- Upset about a traumatic event
- Confused about gender or sexual identity
Counselors can help you:
- Develop a clear sense of your options
- Reduce anxiety
- Make educational and career life plans
- Increase self-confidence and self-esteem
- Cope with stress
- Find resources to help you with your academic performance
- Balance social life, school and work
- Get along better with others
The Counseling Center provides academic advising by appointment and by walk-in. Faculty advisors are available in all academic departments.
If you experience an academic problem, come to the Counseling Center and discuss your options with a Counselor. Counselors are available to discuss a variety of academic issues such as: academic probation, academic suspension, and graduation requirements.
If your career plans change and you are thinking of changing your academic program, change of program forms are available in the Counseling Center. They are also available on the HCC website. Also, if you have not attended for two years and your GPA is below 2.0, you can request the Fresh Start Option.
Located in Lafayette Hall in room A108, the career counselor can help students succeed in many ways. Career goals can help students plan their college programs to assure they have the skills they need to succeed in the workplace. Counselors can also help students with transfer information to four-year institutions. Some of the services include:
- Assistance with establishing career goals.
- Maintaining the bulletin board of job postings for students, directly outside suite A108.
- Assisting with resume writing and cover letters.
- Assisting students with the Strong Inventory Survey Questionnaire to explore educational goals.
The Career/Transfer reference library is located in room A108-b. The library offers students additional resources including college catalogs, background literature on careers, etc. Career/Transfer Workshops are held throughout the year and give students additional information to help make their career and transfer choices.
The Counseling Center also offers workshops
Professional Counselors facilitate the following workshops:
- Test anxiety
- Math anxiety
- Study skills
- Time management
- Stress management
- Orientation to college and/or universities
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT
Marilyn Wehr, MS, LPC, Counselor
Housatonic Community College
900 Lafayette Boulevard
Bridgeport, CT 06604