Where to Search for Grants
Grant funding comes from multiple federal, state, and local sources; there is no single place in to locate grant funding opportunities. Publicly funded agencies and organizations, private foundations and corporations, associations, and quasi-public/private entities provide grant funding in different forms. If you are interested in receiving grant information from an agency or organization, sign up for its newsletter or email alerts. Often sponsors will send out information on pending grant opportunities by email. Pay attention to where your colleagues are obtaining grants; these sponsors may be a good source for your program or project idea also. The following websites offer information on grant opportunities at the federal, state, and local level from private and public funders.
The Foundation Directory Online (requires subscription) is a large database of 189,000 grant makers and 17 million grant awards. It includes national and international foundations and corporate sponsors and is an excellent place to search for small or family foundations that may have an interest in your project idea. It also includes extensive information on larger foundations including grants awarded, board makeup and affiliations, endowment size, eligibility, subject areas of interest, type of funding offered and much more.
Local or regional libraries often maintain a subscription to the Foundation Directory Online (now under the auspices of Candid) and offer access free of charge. Local libraries that subscribe to the service include the Westport Library, Hartford Public Library, and New Haven Free Public Library.
The State of Connecticut offers information on grants through individual department websites. Links to announcement of grant solicitations can be found at the agency websites below.
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy and Environmental Protections
- Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development maintains listings of grant opportunities in multiple areas:
- Grants.gov is an exhaustive database of past, current and future federal grant opportunities that can be sorted by multiple criteria. All federal grant opportunities are posted and archived on grants.gov. It is the official federal portal for distribution of federal grant solicitations.
- The Grantsmanship Center offers information on Local Funding Sources: Connecticut
- Philanthropy News Digest RFPs offers a list of upcoming requests for proposals (RFPs) from private funders by subject area and you can subscribe to receive alerts.